Wednesday 7 February 2018

Keeping Track

The librarian in the school started a "<Name> is currently reading" poster campaign. All members of staff are encouraged to update a poster and display it on their door to show what they are currently reading. It's part of a campaign to create a culture of reading in the school.

Sample Poster
I don't read as much as I should. I don't even read as much as I'd like to. But I think this is a brilliant idea.

I am, though, a techie type, so I decided to try and make it easier to produce the posters. Inevitable, I ended up spending ages not quite achieving what I wanted! Currently, I am tring to do something with Goodreads.

Goodreads is a website I was using anyway and it is a site we are looking at using with pupils. It made sense to create a school account and use it to track and share the books I'm reading. I hoped I might be able to generate a poster automagically but it looks like some human intervention will still be necessary.

Still, the combination of Goodreads and Blogger looks promising. I intend to add the necessary widgets to display my Goodreads "Currently reading" list and hopefully a "Read this session" list too. Also, I intend to add QR codes to the poster that will link to entries in this blog about my reading.

If all goes to plan, you will see the fruits of my labour in this blog. If I fail, this blog will die the long, slow, painful death that comes from neglect. I hope it will be the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Currently Reading...

There is a widget in the sidebar that gives a link to what I am currently reading. This post has the same widget embedded and will be automa...

Popular Posts