Wednesday 9 May 2018

Review: New X-Men By Grant Morrison Book 2

New X-Men By Grant Morrison Book 2 New X-Men By Grant Morrison Book 2 by Grant Morrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The four stars are for Grant Morrison's writing. The artwork is worth two stars at best. The second installment is particulary poor with an almost unrecognisable Wolverine rendered inconsitently. In contrast to the messy artwork, the dialog and interplay between Wolverine and Angel Salvadore is crisp and clean. Thank you Mr Morrison

I like the U-Men as villans. They present an interesting third way (Third Species?). They are an alternative to welcoming mutants as the next stage in evolution, or hating and reviling them for their difference. The U-Men take a much more pragmatic approach! (Was I alone in singing "I Want To Be Like You" King Louie style as the Third Species approach was expounded?)

The final, largely wordless, section was interesting. My only criticism is the strange neon icon things that appeared to represent telepathic communication between Jean and Emma. I found them unhelpful and confusing. It was, however, a bold concept to rely almost entirely on the pictures to tell the story and it pretty much worked.

Final comment: given Emma Frost's, for want of a better word, "costume", where did the hip flask come from?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Currently Reading...

There is a widget in the sidebar that gives a link to what I am currently reading. This post has the same widget embedded and will be automa...

Popular Posts