Friday 29 June 2018

Review: The Secret Service: Kingsman

The Secret Service: Kingsman The Secret Service: Kingsman by Mark Millar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought the film was good... I think the graphic novel is better.

The people in the film seemed almost super-human in their abilities which was good fun in the movie. In the graphic novel though, although there are some unbelievably high-tech gadgets being produced by a supposedly cash-strapped British Secret Service, the people seem more... human. For example, the book makes the iconic "Manners maketh the man" fight in the pub seem real; you could believe that the numpties were taken out by a well trained street-fighter.

There were a couple of things that jarred, that makes it 4 rather than 5 stars; mostly connected to the depiction of women. In its defence, the book is spoofing James Bond and it could be argued that it is sending up the sexist attitudes of the source material.

I've not read much of Millar's work but I'm more than happy to seek out more. He has a good balance between grittiness and humour. As for Dave Gibbons (artist), I first became aware of him through 2000AD. I like his clean, simple artwork. Not that he is without subtlety. For example, when Eggsy goes with his uncle to get kitted out and is pictured with the suit, tie and Oxfords, he is hard to tell apart from his uncle. I do not believe this is because Dave Gibbons has drawn them badly (there is certainly no problem telling them apart elsewhere). Rather, I think he is making the point that Eggsy has now finally committed to his new lifestyle; he has become his uncle and moved from super chav to super spy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Currently Reading...

There is a widget in the sidebar that gives a link to what I am currently reading. This post has the same widget embedded and will be automa...

Popular Posts