Friday 29 June 2018

Review: Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation

Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation by Mark Millar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book confused me at first. When I picked it up in the charity shop, I just saw Mark Millar’s name and Avengers. I failed to spot the “Ultimate” bit and, having not encountered any previous work from the Ultimate universe, it didn’t really mean anything to me anyway. Hence my confusion. Tony Stark is a useless, untrustworthy drunk... with an obnoxious big brother? Nerd Hulk? Hawkeye with guns? Hmm!? Once I relaxed, I kind of enjoyed it. (Apart from Tony Stark big brother. He remained annoying throughout.)

Worst thing? Some ill judged attempts at humour at the expense of the French. I suspect Millar was aiming for irony but, in my opinion, he missed. (The Hawkeye of humour he is not.)

Best thing? Seeing Captain America in action; taking on The Avengers (and the bad guys) and winning! (Not really a spoiler - good guy wins in the end. Surprise!) We see him really living up to the name “Super Soldier”. Super not just in terms of his fighting ability but as super planner and super tactician. Excellent.

For letting me see Captain America in this new light, I’m willing to forgive everything that rankled.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Currently Reading...

There is a widget in the sidebar that gives a link to what I am currently reading. This post has the same widget embedded and will be automa...

Popular Posts