Sunday 3 January 2021

Review: The Lathe Of Heaven

The Lathe of HeavenThe Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was looking for a copy of A Wizard of Earthsea which I read when I was a teenager. Instead, I found this book which I had never read. I couldn't quite make up my mind if I liked it or not. In the end, I decided I did but it is probably a three and a half rather than a four.

There are many interesting ideas explored in the book, for example: how do dreams impact on reality; are there multiple universes (or "continuums" as I think they are called in the book) and can we become aware of them; does power inevitably corrupt and if not, what sort of person can avoid the corruption?

There was a fair amount of Eastern mysticism stirred into the mix, so I cannot resist retelling the joke about the Dalai Lama ordering a pizza and when asked what toppings he wanted, he replied: "Make me one with everything.". He paid for it and waited for change but was told: "Change comes from within." Perhaps my ignorance of Eastern philosophy (as evidenced by my culturally insensitive attempt at humour) is why I did not understand the "solution" that (for want of a better designation) the protagonist of the novel was offered or, indeed, how it helped!

I think it would have worked better as a short story as I thought the narrative had raised the issues, and come to a natural conclusion when I was only about a third of the way through. I was quite enjoying thinking through the issues and working out the moral consequences myself. Instead, the story continued but it seemed to be stretched too thin.

Having said all that, it was a good story and I enjoyed reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Currently Reading...

There is a widget in the sidebar that gives a link to what I am currently reading. This post has the same widget embedded and will be automa...

Popular Posts